Chalifert lock and tunnel

Published on 29 February 2008
The Chalifert lock and tunnel from upstream
The Chalifert lock and tunnel from upstream
(Photo : ASCO-TP)
The downstream Chalifert lock
The downstream Chalifert lock
(Photo : ASCO-TP)

The canal running parallel with the river Marne was dug between 1837 and 1845. The Chalifert canal links the town of Meaux with the Marne at Chalifert . Before reaching the river it passes through a 300 metre tunnel.

There are two locks, one at each end of the tunnel, operated by officers of the River Seine Navigation Department.

Although it is familiar to amateur and professional boaters, this structure is not well known to the general public. It is nevertheless located in a beautiful wooded site, still unspoilt in spite of the TGV viaduct overhead.

The canal running parallel with the river Marne was dug between 1837 and 1845. The Chalifert canal links the town of Meaux with the Marne at Chalifert . Before reaching the river it passes through a 300 metre tunnel.

There are two locks, one at each end of the tunnel, operated by officers of the River Seine Navigation Department.

Although it is familiar to amateur and professional boaters, this structure is not well known to the general public. It is nevertheless located in a beautiful wooded site, still unspoilt in spite of the TGV viaduct overhead.

a barge is going to pass through the upstream lock
a barge is going to pass through the upstream lock
(Photo : ASCO-TP)