Khadju, - XVIIth century
The bridge dam of Khadju, at Ispahan in Iran, is without doubt made up of one of the finest hydraulic structures in the world.
132 metres long and 12 metres wide, it was built in 1650 on the order of King Abbas II to replace an older structure of which no trace remains.
Used both as a bridge and as a dam to divert water for irrigation of agricultural areas, the structure is characterised by its architectural virtuosity and its brickwork.
The bridge served to link the old square and the covered bazaar of the new town. It is made up of a central section, designed for cars and caravans, flanked by two gangways for pedestrians.
The structure also consists of a weir dam, three metres high, the gallery of which was appreciated for its cool temperature at the hottest hours of the day.