A project of this complexity and cost with so many impacts on the life of the whole valley for decades and probably centuries, required complex procedures, much consultation, many studies and a large number of decisions.
It was necessary to:
- Select the route of the future motorway
- Decide whether to build a high level bridge or take the road down into the valley.
- Obtain approval from the Infrastructure Minister who is responsible for roads.
- Consult with local authorities (Millau town hall, the Conurbation Committee, the Département, the Region) and representative associations.
- Conduct the preliminary studies.
- Set up a competition between design offices and architects for 5 types of solution.
- Comply with administrative procedures (declaration of public interest, land ownership survey, etc.).
- Select the best technical solution for the viaduct.
- Award the concession.
- Conduct detailed studies for the viaduct, including safety and operation.
- Conduct preparatory works.
- Lay the first stone - then build the viaduct!
Find out more :