The pont de Grenelle
- The pont de Grenelle
- (Photo : ENPC)
The bridge connects the new riverside Beaugrenelle shopping centre to the radio centre passing over the downstream tip of Ile des Cygnes. The first bridge was a wooden toll bridge consisting of six arches supported by masonry piers built on wood pile foundations. Although it was repaired several times and four of its spans were rebuilt between 1849 and 1873, it was affected by settlement as a result of increasing traffic. In 1874 it was replaced by a six arch cast iron bridge designed by the engineers Vaudrey and Pesson. The bridge is divided into two symmetrical three span halves by Allée des Cygnes where a roundabout was built on which stands a reduction of New York’s famous Statue of Liberty by Auguste Bartholdi. Since the beginning of the twentieth century the capacity of this bridge had become insufficient because of the increase in road and river traffic. In addition, its structure was affected by severe cracking and corrosion. For this reason a new metal bridge was built between 1966 and 1968. The downstream tip of Ile des Cygnes has been the subject of improvement works and a prestressed concrete footbridge 34.50 metres long now connects it to the bridge.
Designers: the engineers THENAULT, GRATTESAT and PILON
Architects : CREUSOT and JABOUILLE
Contractors: DODIN CFEM
Construction date: 1966-1968
Total length: 220m
effective width: 30m : carriageway 22m; two 4 m footpaths
Constructional features: Metal bridge consisting of seven welded beams with two central 85 metre spans over each arm of the Seine and a span of 20 metres over the Ile des Cygnes. The bridge also has two 15 metre concrete spans over the quays on the left and right embankments. It is connected to the Ile des Cygnes by a 34 metre prestressed concrete footbridge.
Feature: Statue of Liberty on the downstream tip of the Ile des Cygnes.
When the Statue of Liberty was unveiled in 1885, Bertholdi mentioned that he regretted that it faced Eastwards, turning its back on America. It was not until the Universal Exhibition of 1937 that his wish was granted, posthumously.