The Pont Louis-Philippe
- The Pont Louis-Philippe
- (Photo : ENPC)
In 1833, when demolition work was taking place to make space for the present-day Rue du Pont Louis-Philippe, a concession was granted to construct a bridge. The first stone was laid by Louis-Philippe on 29 July of the same year. This two span suspension bridge was not in exactly the same position as the present-day bridge. As the carriageway was not wide enough to cope with increasing traffic, it had to be replaced and the decision to demolish the bridge was taken in 1860.
Construction work on the new bridge began immediately. This time, the bridge was built perpendicular to the Seine across only the wider arm in the continuation of Rue du Pont Louis-Philippe. Although the bridge was finished in the summer of 1861, development work around it meant it could not be open to traffic until April 1862. Since its construction, the Pont Louis-Philippe has not undergone any marked changes; its stone parapets, which had suffered severe weather damage, were rebuilt in the original manner in 1995.
Management of works: FELINE-ROMANY
Construction date: 1861-1862
Total length: 100 m
Effective width: 15.20 m; carriageway 10 m; two 2.60m footpaths
Masonry bridge consisting of three elliptical arches with spans of 30m, 32m and 30m.
The spandrels have bull’s eye openings to let light into the galleries that carry utilities. The foundations consist of submerged concrete in bottomless caissons which were sunk into dredged excavations.